Search This Blog

Monday, October 1, 2012

Korean Beef Stir-Fry

I've had my eye on this recipe for a couple of weeks.  The picture made it look so good and I just kept going back to it.  When I finally got around to making it I was happy and disappointed all at the same time.  Happy because it really had good flavor and was hard to stop eating.  Disappointed because my picture, obviously, looks nothing like the one with the original recipe AND because the sauce was a bit too thick.  The original picture makes the sauce look a bit thinner than what it actually produced.  Now, I know what you are thinking.. the girl who is constantly bringing us sauce recipes is complaining about a sauce?  It's true.  Now, don't take that the wrong way.. the sauce was good so it's not like the thicker sauce was all that bad.. it was just different, how about that?  The outcome was different from what I thought it would be.  But, needless to say, this was a good stir fry.  Simple and flavorful.  Nothing bad about that at all :)

Korean Beef Stir-Fry
Adapted from Eatingwell.com
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons mirin
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
a drop or two of sesame oil
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon peanut oil
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
1 lbs flank steak, trimmed of fat and very thinly sliced (against the grain)
1 1/2 cups baby spinach

Directions:
In a measuring cup or small bowl, add the mirin, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and cornstarch.  Stir until well combined; set aside.

In a wok or deep non-stick skillet, add the peanut over medium high heat.  Add the red pepper and jalapeno and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.  Add the steak and stir fry another 2 minutes.  Add the spinach and stir until the spinach starts to wilt.  Stir the sauce mixture and pour into wok, stirring to coat everything.  Remove from heat  as soon as the sauce starts to bubble.  Serve over rice or noodles.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Carolina Style Barbecue Chicken
Two Years Ago:  Lemon and Oregano Rubbed Grilled Chicken

6 comments:

Stephen C said...

Safeway has thin cuts of rib eye, which I think are useless until I come to your recipe. They would be perfect for this - and they are 30% off when available. I don't have mirin, but I've got a new bottle of Shiaoxing Chinese cooking wine.

Debbie said...

This looks delicious and reminds me of how much I love stir fry dishes.....

Yenta Mary said...

A great flavorful meal, and you know what to tweak for next time - how perfect! Hoping some of the chaos is calming down a bit for you ... :)

Cranberry Morning said...

I'm pinning this recipe. I'm sure I'll make it, but the mirin - would that be Helen - or a different type? ;-) I'm sure it's delicious!

Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) said...

Dear Sauce Queen: Looks good to me.

And sounds wonderful. I've had that happen often, where the sauce just doesn't look quit like the photo. I'm seeking out stir fry recipes now that grilling season is waning.

Chris said...

I hate when good tasting food behaves unphotogenically (is that a word?)

Still as long as it tasted good.