Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Grilled Chicken Breasts with Grapefruit Glaze

I saw this recipe and thought to myself... hhmmmm.. grapefruit glaze.. why didn't I think of that before?  I mean I've had lime chicken, I've had lemon chicken... why didn't grapefruit ever enter my mind?  Oh well.. it's there now and to be honest, it wasn't as great as I thought it would be.  It was good... I mean it's at least edible or I wouldn't be posting it... but it just didn't hit that mark I was looking for.  What was wrong with it?  I don't know.. it lacked something.. what exactly, I'm not sure... but if you decide to try this, I'd love to hear what you think.  I did, however, decide to throw together a little sauce to go with it... I mean, you can never go wrong with sauce, right???  And...that did help with making the chicken a bit more tasty :)

Grilled Chicken Breasts with Grapefruit Glaze
Adapted from Food and Wine
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
1 teaspoon grapefruit zest
1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1.4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the sauce -
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon grapefruit juice
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:
In a bowl or measuring cup, mix together the 1/2 cup grapefruit juice, zest, olive oil, honey, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes until well combined.  Remove half of the mixture, cover and place in refrigerator until about 30minutes before you are ready to grill the chicken.  At that point, allow to sit at room temperature until ready to glaze chicken with.  Place the chicken in a resealable bag and pour the remaining grapefruit mixture over the chicken.  Seal the bag and place in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.

To make the sauce:  Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined.  Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.

Preheat the grill to 375 degrees F.  Clean and oil grill grates.  Remove chicken from the bag and discard the marinade.  Place chicken over direct heat, brushing frequently with the reserved glaze, for 8 minutes.  Turn the chicken and brush frequently with the glaze for another 8-10 minutes or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.  Remove from grill and allow to cool for 5 minutes.  Serve with sauce and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  We Interrupt this Broadcast...
Two Years Ago:  Baked Catfish with Firecracker Sauce

7 comments:

Pam said...

Grapefruit is not the ingredients I think of for chicken, but I love grapefruit so it's worth a try. You're right about sauce, it usually makes about anything better.

Cranberry Morning said...

Grapefruit?! No kidding. I would never have thought of grapefruit and chicken. Intriguing, Jenn!

Mary said...

I tried a grapefruit marinade last year and it was weird. I couldn't even tell you why it was so off, but it was almost totally flavorless. (And I used a LOT of grapefruit juice!) I've also had zero luck with adding grapefruit to salad dressings. Maybe grapefruit is a mystery fruit that loses it's flavor in everything but original form!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love this recipe. Grapefruit is so underutilized in cooking that is a thrill to find recipes that use it. I have to try this.Have a great day, Jenn. Blessings...Mary

StephenC said...

I think that if I were using grapefruit as a marinade/sauce I'd probably add more sweetener. We use a lot of Splenda, but I could live with sugar, sugar. BTW, I hate the "prove you're not a robot" thing. I'm on my third try now ...

Chris said...

I used grapefruit earlier this year and actually liked it for a change of pace. Lemon and lime are still my favorite, don't get me wrong, lol.

Anonymous said...

I've never used grapefruit as a marinade - love this!
Mary x