Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cookies and Cream Ice Cream

It's been a while since I've posted an ice cream recipe.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I have made ice cream since that last time, I just haven't  gotten a good picture of it or made anything different.  I thought it was about time to change that, though, especially since the rest of the country is starting to cool down.  I wanted to get this in before the summer is over for most of you.  Although we are in no danger of that happening any time soon around here.  The desert is still hot and dry and it doesn't feel like fall is around the corner at all!  Oh well.. that's why there is ice cream, right?  To help us forget (at least for a short time) how hot it really is!

Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
4 cups heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
18-20 roughly chopped chocolate cream sandwich cookies (Oreos)

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together the condensed milk, vanilla and heavy cream.  Slice the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrap out the seeds into the cream mixture.  Stir to combine.  Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Pour the mixture into a freezer bowl of an ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions.  Add cookies in last 5-10 minutes of cycle.  Move to freezable containers and store in freezer for up to 1 month.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Chorizo Chipotle Pasta
Two Years Ago:  Beer Brined Pork Chops with Cheddar

12 comments:

Unknown said...

just too good... I need me a bowl of this right now (and it's only 9:38am in the morning here...) oh well, diet starts tomorrow!

Bo said...

Ooooh--I love cookies and cream!

Big Dude said...

I normally don't comment on desserts but this looks delicious - like the Oreo Blizzards I used to enjoy at Dairy Queen. I know I'd still love one but would rather spend my calories on another serving of something savory.

Yenta Mary said...

These are great pictures! Ice cream is so, so hard to photograph. Of course, now I want ice cream for breakfast ... you do this to me every day!

scrout1944@msn.com said...

Can this be made without an ice ceam maker?

Unknown said...

Stephen - yes, I believe this could easily be made without a maker. Check out this post from David Lebovitz for more details: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/

Parsley said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I think I gained 5 pounds just reading this post. ;-)

Carla from The River said...

Yummy!

Pam said...

I wish I had a scoop of this ice cream right now... YUM!

Lea Ann (Cooking on he Ranch) said...

It's been way too long since I've made ice cream.

Chris said...

So I'm reading along in a post about ice cream and I see the word "desert" and my mind quickly said, "oh, she misspelled dessert" just from context. Hilarious how the mind works.

Candace said...

We just got an ice cream maker for the Kitchenaid and this looks like an awesome candidate for the next batch. It looks delicious, Jenn! I printed out a copy for the weekend. Thanks!