Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Wasabi Coleslaw

Ok, ok...so I'm not over my wasabi kick, just yet!  About a week ago, I was getting ready to make some coleslaw to go with our burgers, when I realized I was bored with the same old coleslaw.  The same old coleslaw in this house is the Sriracha coleslaw I made a while back.  We love it.  But I was a bit bored with it, so I decided to keep on the spicy Asian flavored theme and throw some wasabi in there instead.  I mean, it was sitting there in the refrigerator just calling me, how could I say no?

Wasabi Coleslaw
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoon champagne vinegar (you could use white wine or rice vinegar too)
3 teaspoons wasabi paste
pinch of sugar
salt and pepper to taste
12oz cabbage coleslaw mix

Directions:
In a large bowl add the mayonnaise, vinegar, wasabi and sugar, stir to combine.  Add the coleslaw mix and toss to coat.  Cover and let rest in refrigerator until time to use - can make up to a day in advance.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Spaghetti with Red Pepper Almond Pesto and Grilled Chicken
Two Years Ago:  Pasta Carbonara

8 comments:

StephenC said...

Sometimes I am ambitious enough to chop up my own greenage for coleslaw, but I'm all for the bagged variety. I have wasabi powder in the fridge that needs using.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I can totally see how the spicy hot from the wasabi would be rockin' good with the cabbage. Sounds quite tasty - and an unexpected switch up from normal boring coleslaw :)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

GENIUS! Happy coleslaw season!

Anonymous said...

What a great use of wasabi!
One of my kids fed the dog a bit of wasabi the other day - she's just about stopped licking her lips now!
Mary x

Cranberry Morning said...

Yeah, 'boring' is not in your culinary vocabulary! I'd like to at least taste it, but I'm not making any commitments here. lol On the other hand, the One Year Ago dish will be made by me and soon! :-)

Mary said...

Oh, see? Now I have yet another idea for using the wasabi. I keep seeing these posts and remembering that I wanted to pick paste up to try. I think I'm still scared of the heat!

Des said...

I don't know how you could be bored with sriracha coleslaw because sriracha anything is amazing ;) However, this does look like a great alternative.

Chris said...

yeah....because sriracha is SOOOOOO borning, right? ummm, what? ;)

But I love the idea of wasabi. Did you use paste or powder?