Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

A Belated Birthday Wish

Happy Birthday, Chris!!
Hope it was a fantastic day!  Love you, baby...xoxoxo!!

We celebrated Chris' birthday this weekend.  We spent lots of quality time together and we got to enjoy some really amazing food!  I wish I had more pictures of the meal we had on Saturday, but unfortunately, the restaurant we went to was really dark - not good for photographing food at all.  Just trust me when I say it was utterly amazing!!!

Now, growing up, my mom used to let us request something special for our birthday dinner.  Whatever we wanted, she would make us.  I've tried to hold onto the tradition as I've gotten older.  So when I asked Chris what his request was this year, he did not hesitate:  Fish tacos, coleslaw, and tots. I was actually excited.  I've made all of these thing and posted them before, but this actually gave me a chance to make the fish tacos in a more traditional way - so I thought it a great way to post my fish taco redux recipe.  I kept it very simple and I hope you all enjoy all of these wonderful dishes as much as we did!

Fish Tacos Redux
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
4 tilapia fillets, cut into strips (I just cut my fillets in half)
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
oil for frying (vegetable or peanut oil)
8-inch flour tortillas (we used 6)
Shredded cabbage and sliced mini sweet peppers or Sriracha Coleslaw
For Baja Sauce:
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sour cream
1/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 large jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
1 Tablespoons lime juice 
Optional side:  Homemade Tater Tots

Directions:
Season the fish with salt and pepper and place in a shallow dish.  Add the milk and cayenne.  Allow to soak for at least 15 minutes. In another shallow dish, mix together the cornmeal and the flour.

In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the Baja Sauce.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

When ready to fry - heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a skillet, over medium high heat.  Remove fish from milk and dredge in cornmeal mixture.  Make sure to shake off any excess flour.  Carefully place in hot oil and quickly fry for about 3-4 minutes per side or until each side is golden brown.  Adjust heat as needed - you do not want this to burn.  Remove from oil and place on a wire rack to cool just a minute or two.

Warm the tortilla for just a minute, top with fish and cabbage/peppers or coleslaw.  Add any other toppings you desire - including the Baja Sauce - and serve with tater tots or any side of your choice.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Midnight Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
Two Years Ago:  Snickers Cookies

12 comments:

StephenC said...

That Chris is one lucky puppy. I'm so glad you shallow-fried. If we ever get finished with our leftovers I'm getting some fish for tacos.

Cranberry Morning said...

When I saw 'fish tacos,' I was skeptical...but when I saw the picture, it sold me! Happy belated Birthday to Chris. :-)

Yenta Mary said...

Happy, happy, happy birthday, Chris!!!

Mary said...

Oh my gosh, that sriracha coleslaw just made it to the top of my try list! wow. Great birthday dinner too. Happy Belated Birthday to Chris!!

Pam said...

Happy b-day to Chris. Fish tacos would make me very happy on my b-day. They look fantastic Jenn.

© said...

Yes Stephen I am indeed on lucky puppy! Thanks babe! ;)

© said...

...and thanks to you all as well.

Angie's Recipes said...

Happy Birthday, Chris!
Love fish tacos ;-)

Big Dude said...

You just made me want some cornmeal coated pan fried fish. Your taco looks delicious.

Velva said...

Happy Birthday to Chris! This is a great birthday meal-A perfect combination of flavors and textures.

Cheers.
Velva

Chris said...

Look how sweet you are with the special dessert and everything!

Happy belated Bday Chris.

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday Chris. You are one lucky guy :)
I haven't had fish tacos for a long time. I'm craving for some now.