Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Little Brownie Bites

After using the black onyx cocoa in my chocolate mayonnaise cake a few weeks ago, I couldn't wait to try using it in something else.  What better way to use it then in brownies... and since I just posted a brownie recipe not too long ago, I thought, why not change it up a bit and just make brownie bites.  Brownie bites are so much fun....and of course, so dangerous.  I could sit down and eat about twenty bites... or in other words, half the pan of brownies...and not feel guilty because it wasn't and 8x8-inch pan!!

Here's a funny story.. or a story at least... I took these to work and because my boss was on a diet, I didn't want to announce that I had brought yummy, tasty brownie bites to work for others to enjoy, so I just put them on the counter and walked away.  I secretly heard a few people raving about them and let me tell you, it felt good!  Seriously, because no one knew who brought them... they could have said anything...but what they said was OMG these are good!!  And that, my friends, is why I do this.   By this, I mean cook/bake.  It warms my heart to hear people oooh-ing and ahhhh-ing over something I made.  And yes, I need that sometimes.... so what?  You do it too... you know you do!! :)

Anyway, after these bites baked, I pulled them from the oven and they immediately sunk in the middle.  Grrrrrr.... BUT, I could not let that ruin these delicious little treats, so I melted some white chocolate and filled in the "holes".  A star was born...............(oh, yes, I filled about 4 with Nutella just to see...they were delicious too!!!)

Little Brownie Bites
Adapted from Andrea the Kitchen Witch
- makes about 36 bites -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder (I used 1/4 c natural, 1/4 c Dutch process, and 2 T black onyx cocoa)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6oz (or more, I sort of lost track, my apologies) white chocolate (chips or chopped)
heavy cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease two mini muff tins and set aside.

In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter.  Add the sugar to the butter and stir well.  Microwave the butter and sugar for 1 minute and stir well.  This will start the sugar melting and give you a thin, crispy, paper like layer on top of the brownies.

In a medium mixing bowl, add the cocoa powders, vanilla, and eggs.  Stir very well until it forms a thick paste.  Add 1/2 of the butter/sugar mix and stir very well with a wooden spoon.  Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl and incorporate all the chocolate.  Add the remaining butter/sugar mix and stir well.  Add the dry ingredients, stirring until just mixed.

Spoon or pour batter into prepared mini muffin tins; filling 3/4 full.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs on it (no liquid basically).  Remove from oven and allow to cool.

When ready to top with chocolate.  Melt chocolate chips along with enough heavy cream to make it "pourable" in a double boiler.  Spoon a small amount of the warmed chocolate on each brownie.  Allow to cool and harden just a bit.  Enjoy! 

And one more thing....I was recently contacted by the people at Flavor-Fix.com.  They wanted my permission to post the recipe for Strawberry Chicken that I borrowed from Andrea the Kitchen Witch.  I, of course, said yes (as long as they referenced my blog and Andrea's of course).  So check out this post here - and don't forget to vote!!!  (Thank you!!)

One Year Ago:  Pass it On Week 2:  Garlic Lime Chicken

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Of course I do that all the time. I like the ooh... and ahh... from friends and sometimes strangers too.
The brownie bites look wonderful. I wouldn't be able to resist the ones filled with nutella. yum.

Yenta Mary said...

What a perfect solution, filling the middles! Oh, they look absolutely addictive. You're right -- they're more dangerous when they're little, 'cause you can just pop them in your mouth without much thought!

Unknown said...

Oh these do look dangerous! Like one of those things you can "justify" eating 10 of because they're..."small...tiny" LOL! Yes...it's why I think I love to cook too...to make people happy!

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh good grief! Why did I just decide to get rid of all the sugar in the house? Well, at least for this week. Those brownie bites look irresistible! - and yes, 'dangerous.' LOL

Cheeseboy said...

They sell these exact same things at a store near me called, "The Sweet Tooth Fairy." Can't get enough of them.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I love the white chocolate ganache filling Jenn! the white is so nice against the dark chocolate :) Aren't they the best brownies? I absolutely love them, never made them into bites before. I'll have to do that soon! Oh and the sinking in the middle is normal for brownies, you didn't do anything wrong :) They look perfect to me!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Oh my goodness, Jenn, these little bites are heavenly! You could almost call them mini chocolate cream pies! Whatever you call them, send over a big box of them. I'll give you my new address, haha! :)

Unknown said...

Oh my, this sounds super good. I do the same thing at work! Love spreading the baking joy.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These sound absolutely delightful. The filling is amazing. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh wow, Jenn!! How decadent. I'll be making these little bad boys first thing as soon as this diet is over!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Pam said...

These would be very dangerous... I would eat way too many.

StephenC said...

Is there a girlscout joke in here somewhere? Sorry, but that's me. But you knew that.

Kathleen said...

I wish I could reach through my screen and grab a bunch of these!

JR/Mike said...

If I saw those in the office I'd probably help myself to a few of them, they look so good I'd probably stuff the whole thing in my mouth! I also like how you improvised, never would've known it was an oopsie.

Katie said...

How cute! :)

Chris said...

How cute and totally non-fattening (Right?)! I'll have to show these to Alexis, she's the baker.