Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls

So, back at the beginning of the year, I said that all I really wanted to do this year was make cinnamon rolls.  Well, folks...looks like I'm done... see ya next year!!  

Seriously, though...YAY!!  I FINALLY did it!!  And it wasn't so bad.  Ok, ok.. yes it was bad, but not THAT bad.

My biggest problem with these, as with any yeast breads I seem to make, was that I could not get the dough to rise.  I ended up putting it in the sun so that it would have some extra heat to help it along.  The process took twice as long and I got impatient and believe I put them in the oven before they were at their most fluffiest.  I believe that led to "heavier" cinnamon rolls.  They definitely were not light and flakey.  And I know they were supposed to be, because I politely took this recipe from Mary over at One Perfect Bite.  I have never made anything from her site that was not fantastic.  And I mean, look at her pictures, then look at mine... and I followed the directions to the T.  Ok, obviously I didn't as they would have turned out exactly like hers, but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.  I believe that I allowed the milk to cool too much, so when the yeast hit it, it was not hot enough to activate it.  That's my theory at least and I'm going to stick with that.  Because, if I don't, I'll think it's just me and I'll never try making these again.. and THAT would be a shame for sure, because honestly, I love cinnamon rolls and these had the perfect flavor, just not the perfect texture.... so I will be trying my hand at these again.

Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe courtesy Mary, One Perfect Bite
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
Dough - 
1 cup whole milk
1 stick (8T) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) active dry yeast
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoons table salt
Filling - 
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 brown sugar
2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped toasted pecans (I left this out)
Icing - 
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (I used 1 cup)
1 Tablespoons milk 

Directions:
To make dough:  Scald milk over medium-high heat.  Pour into a large bowl of an electric mixer.  Add the butter and stir until butter has melted.  Set aside until mixture is lukewarm.  Stir yeast and sugar into milk.  Add 1 cup flour and mix well.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add salt and 1 more cup of flour.  Mix vigorously until dough is smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes on medium speed.  Add reserved 2 1/2 cups flour and mix just until incorporated.  Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Continue kneading by hand until it is smooth.  Place the dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a towel, and set aside until it has doubled in size, about 2 hours.

To make the filling:  Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl.

To assemble rolls:  Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan (I used two round cake pans).  Turn dough onto a well-floured surface.  Roll dough with a rolling pin into an evenly shopped 12x16-inch rectangle.  Brush dough liberally with softened butter.  Sprinkle with an even layer of cinnamon/sugar mixture, leaving a 1/2 inch border along one of the long sides.  Sprinkle with toasted pecans if using.  Roll, beginning with long side of rectangle.  Use finger tips to pinch dough as you roll, sealing edges firmly to form a seam.  Cut into 12 pieces using a serrated knife or dental floss and arrange in pan.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise until double in size, about 4 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Bake rolls in center of oven until they are golden, 25-30 minutes.  Invert rolls onto a wire rack and cool to rooms temperature, about 20 minutes.

To make icing:  Mix all ingredients until smoother, add more milk as required for drizzling.  Drizzle (or spread as I did) icing over rolls with spoon.  Cut or pull apart to separate.  Serve warm.  Enjoy! 

 

One Year Ago:  Peanut Butter Ice Cream
 

11 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

They look really beautiful! - don't put yourself down, you've done so well!!

StephenC said...

Okay, so how much does the Arizona climate have to do with things like yeast? Seems to me there must be some effect. Even at that, they look pretty good!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

They are pretty rolls Jenn! Sorry you had a hard time with the dough. Even when the recipe says not to proof the yeast I always do...I like to know that my yeast is alive & kicking (but then again I buy yeast in bulk so the chances of it dying are pretty great) Seeing your lovely rolls makes me want to make some of my own...its been a while since I've made any :)

Katie said...

Good for you! Cinnamon rolls are certainly intimidating.

Cranberry Morning said...

Personally, I think they sound fabulous! I don't like bread products to be light and fluffy - like Wonder bread. I like dense and chewy. More for your money, so to speak. So you see, these 'heavier' cinnamon rolls look wonderful to me. I might just try these for my husband and son. P.S. Sometimes I raise my dough in my oven set at 100 degrees.

Pam said...

You have no idea how much I want one of those beauties with my coffee right now... they look perfect!

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, I think they look gorgeous! I can practically smell them as I scroll down the page, wishing I had one right now ... wishing, hoping, dreaming ... :)

Big Dude said...

They look plenty good to me. Remember Mary's site has the word perfect in it and I believe it.

Unknown said...

The cinnamon buns look beautiful to me. Sorry to hear they weren't as light and flaky as you hoped them to be.

Denise said...

They look great, do be so hard on yourself. Yeast breads take time to learn. Just keep trying. But I bet they tasted great anyway.

Chris said...

Alexis was going to make some cinnamon rolls this week but then changed her mind and made brownies instead. I was quite disappointed.