Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

Sriracha Chicken Wings

With Super Bowl Sunday just a few weeks away, I thought it would be good to showcase a recipe that would be a wonderful addition to your Super Bowl party menu!  Now I have made Grilled Sriracha Glazed Chicken before....inspired by one of my all time favorite chefs, Michael Symon...but I figured I didn't have a lot of followers back then and maybe some of you had missed it.  So, why not revisit the recipe and adjust it using chicken wings instead of chicken breasts??  I considered smoking the wings again (like the Smoked Sweet & Spicy Chicken Wings), but then remembered that most of you do not have smokers, so I thought a method using the oven and the grill would be the most user friendly way of making these.

My first big accomplishment with these wings.... I cut them myself!! WOOHOO!!!  I actually bought a package of full chicken wings and was going to just make them that way, than I thought...I could totally cut these and get the actual drummette AND wing combo that you find at most restaurants.  I have always been hesitant when it comes to cutting up chicken, but for silly reasons...so this time I just did it.  Granted it took a while, and my hands started to hurt after a while...but boy was it so worth it.  We had the perfect chicken wing platter...it was way satisfying to finally do the deed too!!  I think the chicken might have even tasted better, but that's just me :)  Oh, and I saved the wing tips and froze them - I'll used them at some point to make chicken stock!!

ANYWAY...This is a very simple recipe that yields some pretty spicy little wings.  Plus, because I bake and grill these, they are a ton healthier than the wings you would get if you went to the local sports bar!  You can easily use any of your favorite sauces for this...if the Sriracha is a bit too hot for you, that is!!  Serve a little Ranch along side these for those that need to tame the heat down a bit...(scratch the healthy part if you do that though!!)

 
I baked these first for about 18 minutes and than I finished them off on the grill (I wanted to do the entire thing on the grill, but was worried that I didn't have enough propane).  If you didn't want to use the grill you could cook them in the oven for about 20 minutes and than turn on the broiler for about 5-8 minutes or until the skin starts to crisp up.  Either way, you'll want to make up a batch or two of these bad boys....they will be a party favorite!

Sriracha Chicken Wings
Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
20 wing and/or drummettes
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (if that's too spicy, use 1/2 tsp cayenne and 1 tsp pepper)
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup Srircha Hot Chili Sauce
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon honey

Directions:
Put the wings into a large bowl and season with the garlic powder, salt, and cayenne.  Toss; making sure that all the pieces are seasoned.  Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes but I recommend 2 hours.

In a small bowl, mix together the butter, Sriracha, lime juice, and honey.  Pour 3 tablespoons over the chicken wings; tossing to coat.  Cover and return to the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Place the chicken on a wire rack that has been placed in a cookie sheet (you can put it directly on the cookie sheet too, I just think they cook more evenly raised up on the rack).  Bake for 18 minutes, rotating sheet half way through.

Preheat your grill to 400 degrees.  Remove the chicken from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.  Put chicken back in large bowl, pour the remaining Sriracha sauce over the chicken and toss to coat.  When grill is ready, place the wings directly over the fire and grill for another 10 minutes, turning halfway through.  Remove from grill and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.......Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Lemon Tuna Pasta with Basil & Zucchini

13 comments:

egbkid said...

Wow, those look like a yummy mess; hope you have lots of napkins on hand! :-)

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

YUMMMM!!! Could be an entry in my superbowl contest!?!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Mary Bergfeld said...

These sound like a wonderful addition to game day finger food. I love sriracha and use an amazing amount of it in the course of a year. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

Chicken wings!! yay! love them!
Those look so good and sounds rather spicy.
I want a bucket now... :)

Unknown said...

Sriraha is OUR FAVORITES! We're putting it on anything and everything now a days! Love how you baked these too...my husband loves to do them on the grill...either way I think they come out tasted like good old fried chicken wings! YUM!

Pam said...

I love sriracha... these wings look and sound perfect.

Cranberry Morning said...

I doubt that anything would be too hot for my husband to eat. His stomach is made of cast iron! These look great, and I bet we can eat them even if we don't watch the Super Bowl! :-)

Unknown said...

You have the bset meat recipes!

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

Jenn, these look great! Glad you thought of us poor huddled masses who do not have a smoker!

StephenC said...

Some wings are one of those things
That is for what the heart often sings.
Slathered with heat,
They just can't be beat.
Like illicit Las Vegas flings.

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Love Michael Symon and these wings look finger lickin' good. Congrats to you on the wing cutting. You are getting very adventurous!! :)

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

This is the recipe I didn't know I needed! My husband and I just cut up two whole chickens the other day and now are left with lots of wings and drumsticks and no recipe... until now! This is perfect. Spicy and absolutely delicious. Right up my (and his) alley! Thanks for sharing these, Jenn. Have a great weekend!

Chris said...

Symon has a great sriracha wing recipe too but I like your version as well. The heat, the flavor it all works!