Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Spicy Crab Cakes with Lemon Aioli

I think I may have said this before, but I really do not like watching the Neeley's on the Food Network.  They are just a bit much for me....what, with their kissing and baby talk.. ugh, it becomes excruciating to watch!!  BUT...I will admit, any recipe that I have tried of theirs has turned out to be really good.  And this little number is no exception!

Most of you who have been reading my blog for a while now, know that Friday nights at our house are either "date night" or "fend for yourself night".  This past Friday was fend for yourself night and I was craving crab cakes!  I knew this was a dish that Chris would not be fond of, so it was the obvious choice to make.  I made these crab cakes a few years back, before Chris and I moved in together, so I knew exactly which recipe I was going to adapt for my dinner.  I had to adapt the amount of ingredients for myself as this recipe called for 1 pound of crab meat and I was only working with about 2oz!  Despite my worries of cutting the ingredients, these turned out to be absolutely wonderful.  The crispy outside, the nice wonderfully, creamy soft inside.  Oh, and the lemon aioli....well, of course you know it was my favorite part of the entire meal!!


Spicy Crab Cakes with Lemon Aioli
Adapted from The Neelys, Food Network
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon shallots, finely diced
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley, or 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
2 Tablespoons panko bread crumbs
1 small egg yolk
hot sauce, to taste
2 oz (1 can) crab meat
1-2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
For the lemon aioli -
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley

Directions:
In a small skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter than add the shallot.  Let cook 3-4 minutes or until they become translucent; stirring occasionally. (You may need to adjust the heat so that you do not burn them)  Add the bell pepper and cook another 3 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute; stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and let cool.

In a bowl, add the mayo, Dijon, lemon juice, cayenne, and parsley.  Add the cooled, cooked vegetables, the 1 tablespoon panko, egg yolk, and hot sauce.  Fold in the crab meat.  Place the remaining panko on a plate.  Using about 2 tablespoons of the crab mixture, make patties about 3/4-inches thick.  Dip the cakes into the panko and then move to a plate and allow to sit for 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the lemon ailoi.  Cover and set aside.

In a skillet, over medium high heat, add the oil until shimmering.  Carefully place the cakes in the oil and fry about 3-4 minutes or until they are golden brown.  Carefully flip and cook another 3-4 minutes.  Remove from the oil and allow to drain on a paper towel quickly.  Serve with lemon aioli and enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta

17 comments:

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Mmm, this looks good. And we can't stand the Neeli's either for the same reasons. LOL Glad I could find their recipe on your blog though.

Big Dude said...

They look delicious Jenn and I could eat them at least once a week. "Come on Sweetie, give me some of your brown sugar" (LOL).

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Nice crab cakes! That's another thing I've never attempted, need to change that :) I so agree about the Neely's, its enough already! I keep waiting for them to just get it on - on the countertops sometimes LOL!

Pam said...

I. WANT. THIS. NOW!!! This is my kind of meal... yum!

StephenC said...

"Gimme some sugar, honey."

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Jenn I so seriously wish we lived closer. We would be BFFs for sure. I died laughing when I read 'fend for yourself' night! I do the exact same thing and often as an excuse to make something I know MY Kris doesn't like! Ha ha ha!!

And though I tried embracing the Neely's enthusiasm for a while, I've finally given up. They're the blue cheese of Food Network hosts - a little goes a long way. But you're right - I too have enjoyed every recipe of theirs I have tried.

And whoa what a pic of the crab cakes! You have me wanting to eat them for breakfast!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

A girl after my own heart - These look so delicious, Jenn! As a Maryland native, I can never resist a good crab cake, and I know I wouldn't be able to resist eating all of these at once! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. Oddly, I don't have one of my own so will have to give this a try soon. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

I'm not a big fan of the Neeley's as well but sometimes their dishes do look yummy. Crab cakes are so delicious! and the lemony, garlicky aioli is perfect with them.

egbkid said...

This looks great! I agree with you though. I have only seen the Neeley's a few times, but they seem to be overly sweet and just annoying!

Unknown said...

I LOVE everything you make and would love to be a guest!

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look really good. I've learned to read rather than watch them. I know they have fans, but I'm not numbered among them. This, however, sounds like a delicious recipe, so I have to give credit where credit is due. I just wish they'd get a room. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Debbie said...

I love crab cakes too and order them a lot when we go out to dinner. I've never made them before but would love to try. I know what you mean about he Neely's...they're not my favorite either but all of their recipes that I've tried have turned out great...

Unknown said...

I adore all the seafood you do!!!! Girl after my own heart!

I have a "soft spot" for the crab cake...like it would be part of my "last meal dish" sort of soft spot.

Your story...just added to the soft soft! LOVE!

Cranberry Morning said...

I don't think I've ever had crab cakes. This looks delicious!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

your crabcakes look perfect! the lemon aioli was a good choice of condiment, tired old tarter sauce just wouldn't have done for crabcakes that good!
Cheers
Dennis

Chris said...

Freaking A, Jenn, these crab cakes look wonderful. I normally make remoulade sauce for mine but the aioli seems perfectly suited too!

Exceptional dinner.

Desi said...

You had me at crab cake! And that lemon aioli only reiterates the fact that I HAVE to make these! I have never made homemade crab cakes, it intimidates me!