Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Grilled Nachos

Here's another great idea for your Super Bowl party....than again, this is a great idea for any party...heck, forget the party, this is a good idea for anytime!!  Now, I'm sure everyone has their own special nacho recipe....but this is mine.  GRILLED NACHOS!!  I know you are not surprised by this :)  Don't worry, you don't HAVE to grill these, you can easily put them in the oven, but hey, I like my grill, it was in the 70's here...I HAD to grill!!  I also had to use the rest of that cheddar cheese soup I used in the Cheesy Rice Casserole...so there, excuse enough, right?  The one real thing lacking on these...black olives, I forgot to pick up some black olives.  Oh, well, even as simple as these were, they were fantastic!  I tried to put more jalapenos on them to detour Chris from eating them, but he just picked them off and continued to eat....dang it...foiled again!!  My suggestion, make a lot, these will disappear fast!


Grilled Nachos
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/4 lb Mexican pork chorizo
1 jalapeno, sliced
6 cherry tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup (or more if you have it) cheddar cheese condensed soup
1 Tablespoon milk
1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded habanero cheddar cheese (or regular cheddar)
Tortilla chips (I used enough to cover a 10 x 14-inch grill tray)
Sour cream and guacamole (optional)

Directions:
Preheat your grill to 400 degrees.  Line a 10 x 14-inch grill tray with aluminum foil.  Cover with one layer of tortilla chips.

In a small microwaveable bowl, add the cheddar cheese soup and the milk.  Heat until warm and pourable.  Cover and set aside.

Place a small amount of oil in a small cast iron skillet.  Add the chorizo and cook directly over the fire for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until cooked through.  Remove chorizo from skillet and let drain on a plate lined with a paper towel.  To the same skillet, add the jalapeno and let cook for about 2-3 minutes, or just until softened, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat.

Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the tortilla chips, the pour the cheddar cheese over it all.  Sprinkle with the cooked chorizo, than the diced tomato, than the jalapenos.  Top with remaining shredded cheese.

Place tray on grill grates and turn off the fire directly under it.  If you are using a charcoal grill, move the charcoal to one side of the grill. Cover the lid and let grill about 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.  Top with sour cream and guacamole if desired.  Enjoy!

***To Bake:  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Follow all other directs but cook on stove top in non-stick skillet.  Build as instructed.  Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.***


One Year Ago:  Smothered Pork Chops with Thyme

12 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Who needs an official party, when these are a party unto themselves???

Big Dude said...

I'm with you nachos are for anytime and these look very good.

Unknown said...

Nachos are the best. I often lost control around them and eat them by the trayful.
This looks so good. The sour cream and guacamole are 'a-must' for me.

Cranberry Morning said...

I am so glad you posted this! We used to eat at a restaurant, back in the Dark Ages, that had the greatest Nachos, but I've never made them. And don't worry, black olives are a staple around here, always in our pantry. These look amazing!

Be sure to enter my [first ever] Giveaway on Cranberry Morning. (my handmade soaps!) :-)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Dear Jenn
you are invited to a party. Please bring LOTS of nachos. Thanks!
Andrea :)
These look SO GOOD!! WOW I've never ever thought to grill nachos (but I do them in the broiler all the time). Yum yum yummy yum!!

Pam said...

Wow! My kind of food for a super bowl party or any time! Great recipe using chorizo!

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really do look wonderful.I have a recipe for "Killer Nachos" coming soon. I'll have to do a taste test of the two recipes. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Pam said...

What I would give to have this for lunch - yum!

Unknown said...

I haven't had nachos forever! These look awesome!!!

Chris said...

I know I just had these a couple of days ago but dayum I would like a plate of these nachos. I think the cooking on cast iron on the grill makes a difference, don't you?

Unknown said...

Oh how nice, these are divine nachos...posted about you

buywowaccount said...

That is a super cheesy-licious dish perfect for a super bowl night, super easy and super yum. Craving for more cheese, haven't celebrated cheese day the other day, well indulge.