Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cheesy Rice Casserole

Normally, I will not use condensed soups...I just don't, they aren't the healthiest thing for you, I can't even pronounce some of the ingredients listed, and honestly, I'd just rather spend time making homemade soups.  BUT the other day when I was scrounging around in the pantry, I noticed way, way in the back corner, a can of cheddar cheese condensed soup.  Now I don't ever actually remember buying that...but I'm pretty sure Chris wouldn't have done it on his own, so I grabbed it and thought about putting it to good use before it went bad.

We eat a lot of rice, I'm pretty sure I have mentioned that fact before.  It's usually very simple, and that's been ok...until recently...recently, I just wanted something different.  Than the idea hit me:  Why not blend my want for something different with my need to use this soup???  And a star was born!  (If you really are against condensed soups, you can always make your own cheese sauce)

Seriously, this was DELICIOUS!  I probably could have used more of the soup, but I was trying to keep the rice from becoming too mushy.  Feel free to add more if you want...but tomorrow I'll show you what to do with the other half...if you are interested that is :)


Cheesy Rice Casserole
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 cups cooked rice (I used basmati)
1 red pepper, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped (optional - I was going to use one but it had gone bad)
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 Tablespoons condensed cheddar cheese soup
3 Tablespoons milk
salt
pepper
hot sauce
shredded cheddar cheese (I used about 1/2 cup)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a small baking dish with non stick cooking spray; set aside.  In a small bowl, add the soup, milk, and hot sauce, salt, and pepper all to taste.  (I had originally added fresh rosemary...about 1 teaspoon...it was good, but it was really overpowering, so I'm keeping that out...but feel free to add it if you want, like I said, it was good with it!)

In a small skillet, over medium heat, add the oil until hot.  Add the red pepper and cook for 3 minutes.  Add the zucchini and cook another 3 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute.  Remove from heat.

Place the rice in a large bowl and add the cooked veggies.  Pour the cheese mixture over and stir to combine.  Pour into prepared baking dish and top with shredded cheese.  Bake for 10 minutes or until heated through and the cheese on top is melted.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Firecracker Tilapia with Lemon Aioli

11 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

It's colorful, it's got vegetables, and it's comfort food ... a winner all around!

Unknown said...

I'll take cheesy rice anything!!! Also, good for you for using the can and not letting go to waste, that's what I say!!!

Cranberry Morning said...

I bet even my grandsons would like this. I've got one can of Nacho cheese soup in the pantry. Now I know what it's for!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Great idea to use up the can of soup! YUM! It looks really good Jenn, but I'm a cheese sucker. Like Cranberry Morning, I bet my kid would try rice if I made it cheesy. Thanks for the good idea!

Unknown said...

I have nothing against canned soup, but like you, I also prefer making my own. This cheesy rice casserole looks delicious. I'm about to go for my lunch and I really want this... :)

Pam said...

I rarely use condensed soups either but I have to say this rice looks tasty!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Mmm, nothing better than carbs and cheese together! This looks decadent and absolutely delish. Thanks for sharing, Jenn!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really looks tasty.It was a perfect way to finish up the soup. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

Hi Jenn! Great recipe...just and FYI probably 2morrow or Friday I am going to feature your Chorizo rice...and your blog. Hope you dont mind - I have nothing but nice things to say!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I can never quite manage to get the rice casseroles to turn out right. Always a bit dry. Not yours, it looks great.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Chris said...

I normally wouldn't use condensed soups either but damn this looks good! Waste not want not.